Thursday, March 18, 2010

Still Jenny from the Kitchen #4

The Essential Banana Smoothie for One


When my lovely friend Sadie told me yesterday she didn't know how to make a smoothie I made an involuntary and very audible gasp. Surely everyone must have a banana smoothie recipe in their repertoire - you never know when or where you might need it!

Although I think Sadie might be the only person on the planet who ever felt they couldn't make a banana smoothie, I thought I had better offer my favourite banana smoothie recipe to you long suffering followers of this blog. Lord knows you need something to cling to when I get started on the topic of Hatchling No.2's toenails, or the time I fell out with a wallaby.

Here's what you need:

One very ripe banana, some milk (doesn't have to be soy, but I like soy in smoothies), half a teaspoon of honey and a sprinkle of cinnamon.

By the way, can somebody please remind me to buy more honey? There will be a Hatchling riot if the honey pot runs dry - it can get pretty ugly.

There is also a secret ingredient:

FROZEN BANANA. It gives your smoothie that icy cold deliciousness that is usually only achieved by adding icecream. By all means go the icecream if that's what toots your horn, but frozen banana makes a healthy alternative.

Just use one frozen banana for this smoothie.

I know in a shop you'd see a long row of fancy blenders, each in their very own cone of silence, but I just use this:

Less dishes to wash up can only be a good thing, right?

Okay, so I forgot to take pictures of me throwing a soft ripe banana, a frozen banana and some milk into my cup, so please visualise this happening now. Thanks.

Next drop in some honey.

Then sprinkle some cinnamon over the top. I don't know why I add cinnamon - I think because it is always in recipes for banana cake... Whatever the reason, it adds extra depth to the smoothie's flavour. Mmmmm.

Then all that is left to do is to submerge your stick mixer and buzz it all together.

If you could please spill some on your benchtop it would make me feel a whole lot better. I appreciate your co-operation - thank you so much.

Tip this vat of yumminess into a glass, dust some more cinnamon on the top and then run for the hills so you don't have to share it with anyone!

I sometimes have this for lunch, instead of the standard sandwich that I eat for lunch every other day of my life. There's a joke about that, but I won't try and share it with you right now. Remind me again some other time.
Now go forth and make smoothies!!
Jen x

No comments:

Post a Comment