Monday, December 28, 2009

S-s-s-snake!!!!

It's been almost four years since our last close encounter with a snake, but in the week leading up to Christmas this guy showed up:



Sadly he didn't turn up in this conveniently sealed plastic container. Now that I probably could have handled - close eyes, grit teeth, pick up box, launch into outer space, or somewhere equally as remote!

Hatchling No.1 and I first spotted this 4 year old (approx.) Tiger Snake as we wandered casually into our tv room.


"Something's there..." said Hatchling No.1 as he headed across to the window to peer out into the garden. Expecting it to be a super cute skink I followed him saying,
"Oh yes its a....." at that moment I spotted what most certainly was NOT a skink,
"Errrgh! It's a snake!"

Mr. Tiger Snake was sliding through our garden bed, rubbing along the window pane (which probably felt nice and cool).

I immediately laid down the law with Hatchling No.1: "Stay there and DO NOT follow me outside!"

I then suddenly found I was wearing my brave trousers and went outside to watch where our visitor was going. He slid into our garage (IE. closer to the door - eek!) and hid under the car. Fortunately my sister Selma has a friend who keeps snakes, and he was extremely excited to come and collect our unwanted guest.



After what felt like an eternity, Snake-Dude-Luke arrived and set about finding Mr. Snake. I lost sight of him as he slithered off into the junk corner of our garage. As luck would have it, Snake-Dude-Luke found him almost instantly. After a bit of hide and seek Snake-Dude-Luke picked up Mr. Snake (really, with his bare hands, no joke) and popped him into his waiting plastic container.

PHEW!!!!

Snake-Dude-Luke said he was a very 'pretty' tiger snake, and set off to find Mr. Snake a nice new place to live in the State Park (where people don't live and snakes should!).

'Pretty' wasn't the first word that sprang to mind when I looked at Mr. Snake, but then Snake-Dude-Luke does have a pet snake (Death Adder, me thinks) called Tickles. Need I say more?

I would love to love snakes, really, I would. The trouble is that they stir up a fear within me that goes right to the core. When I see a snake in the wild I almost cannot breathe - that's how scary they are to me. I just can't love something that scares me that much - full stop, end of story.


I might consider therapy one day...


...but it's an unlikely prospect.

Jen x

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to see a photo of those Brave Pants after the event - needed a wash I dare say...

    ReplyDelete