Sunday, July 12, 2009

Still Jenny From the Kitchen #3

Ah, its the weekend - that is good.

But wait! What is that I smell? (Work with me here people, I know its hard to smell via a blog post.)
Mmmmm, its the smell of pikelets.

Pikelets, like bonfires, are a current signature of our weekends at home, hanging out as a family. I usually cook them at around 11am for morning tea, but by the time I've finished cooking and we have eaten lots, they have become lunch. Of course I have a couple of helpers:

So now its only right that I share my recipe for making these little round discs of loveliness. You might find they induce happy dances all around at your place like they do at mine:
Happy-Dance Inducing Pikelets

Ingredients:
1 cup self raising flour
pinch salt
1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
1/2 cup sour milk (sour with 1 tsp vinegar or lemon juice)
2 tblsp sugar
1 egg
1 desertspoon melted butter (1oz?)
  • Sift dry ingredients, add sugar.
  • Mix to a smooth batter with beaten egg and milk, add melted butter.
    (Note: batter should be about cake-mix thickness)
  • Heat and grease pan, drop batter by desertspoonfuls on to pan, cook until bubbly on top and golden underneath.

  • Flip and cook other side.

Then join in the happy dance going on around your kneecaps and before moving swiftly on to cooking the next round. Once the pikelet frenzy has commenced there is no stopping!

Oooh, and don't forget to save a couple for yourself!!
Enjoy.
Jen x

No comments:

Post a Comment