Monday, April 19, 2010

A weekend by the sea

In my book, skipping town for the weekend is always an exhausting yet invigorating thing to do. Last weekend we did just that and headed down to the Mornington Peninnsula. Everybody is happy when they visit "Grandpa's Beach House". Hatchling No.2 is especially happy when he is actually saying the words, "Grandpa's Beach House".

Lordy, if I heard him say it once I heard him say it a thousand times over the four days we were there! And for the week following our visit! It may take me a few more weeks to recover. You know, for the rocking back and forth to stop... that sort of thing.

I took the Hatchlings to the quieter side of the peninnsula on Friday (before Union Jack made the journey after work to join us).

I keep telling myself the Hatchling No.1 is NOT envisaging giving Hatchling No.2 a hefty shove, thus plunging Hatchling No.2 straight into the wet stuff right at this moment.

It couldn't be possible, we'd only heard the words "Grandpa's Beach House" 378 times by this stage. Not even I was ready to do anything so drastic!

By the way, it was the Hatchlings themselves who insisted on wearing their hats this way. Hatchling No.1 was terrified the wind might pick his hat up and blow it all the way to Tasmania.

French Island or Philip Island might have been more realistic possibilities...

Hatchling No.2 was just wishing his mother had bothered to do up at least one button on his polo shirt that day. I mean, how hard would it have been? My care factor for buttons really needs to be raised a notch or to, wouldn't you say?

Thank heavens Hatchling No.2 was far more interested in working the phrase "Grandpa's Beach House" into at least 7 more sentences before we stepped off the pier.

You can see him working on the possibilities while Hatchling No.1 looks for fish, sharks, stingrays, seaweed etc.

"This here wooden pier reminds me of the polished wooden floorboards at Grandpa's Beach House!!"

Got it!

"This metal mesh we're walking on is just like the security door at..."
You guessed it...
"Grandpa's Beach House."

Bingo!!

I have to stop now, I can feel the need to rock returning.

Jen x

No comments:

Post a Comment