Monday, October 12, 2009

Bicycles 101

I remember it very clearly – the weekend I learned to write a bike. Admittedly I was a bit older than Hatchling No.1, so the process was a bit faster. This, I fear, may be quite a long process.

I didn’t have any training wheels – Hatchling No.1 rather likes his training wheels.

Not least of which is because without them he would be lying on the ground with a bike on top of him a LOT. He likes the bell too.

I didn’t have a smooth, flat netball court to learn on. I had a gravel driveway with a slight slope down, then up. It was perfect because I could use the downhill slope to start rolling without any use of pedals, and then the upward slope would bring me to a stop without any brakes. Perfect.

Maybe we should take Hatchling No.1 back to my childhood home and ask the current owners if they’d mind us using their driveway for some bicycle 101.

No, wait! Hatchling No.1 has found his happy face! He’s smiling! He’s pedaling!

He’s smiling and pedaling!!

Hatchling No.2 is smiling too - mostly because he found this puddle to ride through. Boys and muddy water – the yin and the yang.


If I told you I caught Hatchling No.2 dipping his hands in this muddy puddle water and drinking it would you be grossed out??? I was just wondering - that’s all. No, nothing to confirm or deny at this stage, really. No, really!

Okay maybe he drank a little bit. But don’t worry I leapt into action and put a stop to it! And then every time I turned my back he drank some more. Sigh. His immune system is going to be SPEC-TAC-U-LAR!


Its all part of bicycles 101 – watch out for the next installment.
Jen x

No comments:

Post a Comment